Skip to main content

College Life with anxiety and depression

College is suppose to be the best time of a person's life. Unless you are like me. College tends to be a struggle; some days,of course, are better than others. Let's start first with the fact that college is super busy, people are everywhere and college is stressful. Generally, people find their group of friends and they go out to eat, study, or just in general hang out. I don't have that. I have friends yes, but I don't hang out. It's never been for me. I find it overwhelming. I find myself trying to conform to those around me, doing what they like and what they generally do; that way they stay my friend right. I find it extremely overwhelming and then I end up sinking into myself. But even with all of that I'm not the friend that people ask to hang around, I'm not one to be asked to go out to eat. I don't know the reason why. Perhaps its just that my anxiety is to much to be around. On campus one thing you tend to have to get use to is people bumping into you and, when classes let out, a swarm of people are gonna be walking around. I tend to find a place for me to sit when this happens. When hundreds of people that I never seen before, because lets be honest campus is so big you may not see the same people twice unless they are in your program, are all around me I tend to start getting extremely nervous.
Plus, college in general is stressful! You have a ton of work and only a small amount of time to get it done. Sometimes its like my brain shuts down from this. I have to work extra hard to remember what I am suppose to and when everything is due. I've always had a problem with memory but now adding ten things for three different classes tends to make that even worse. I have found a best friend in planners. Though sometimes the planners don't help because I forget to look in the planner. But that's something I am working on haha.
Alot of people find college a great time to party. I can honestly say I have not been to a single party since starting my college years. After night classes you can walk out of Hawkins and see the Fraternities partying and it has never once crossed my mind to go check it out. Instead I go to work, go to class, finish class, go home, do homework, go to sleep and repeat. But that is more of just because of who I am. I never even went to a party in high school unless a 12 year old pool party counts.
It's not easy being in college with anxiety and depression. It's a constant battle not to let the anxiety and depression take over. But it IS doable. One of the most important things to have when going through this is support. Whether it is family or friends, having that support to help you and remind you of things is amazing. Now here I am on my senior year of college when the first year seemed impossible to get through. This will be an experience that will help me throughout the rest of my life because it has taught me many things to help get through hard times.

Image result for colledge and anxiety

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit