Skip to main content

Accept Who You Are!

Accepting who you are is one of the hardest things for people to do. And in some instances its hard for other people to understand why and how you were able to accept what happened to you.
You will not be able to succeed and become resilient if you don't accept your story. You must accept your story in order to heal and grow. Danielle Bernock made this statement "Trauma is personal. It does not disappear if it is not validated. When it is ignored or invalidated the silent screams continue internally heard only by the one held captive. When someone enters the pain and hears the screams can healing begin." IF you continue to ignore what happened to you then it will continue to hurt you, it will exhaust you daily and you will always want to get out. Once you accept that it happened and that no matter what you can't change you, you can finally heal. You must come to peace with what happened and accept it.
People ask me all the time how I can, not only accept what happened to me, but how can I tell people about it. People find it so hard to believe that I can accept that it happened and find it even harder that I don't mind telling people. One of the reasons I created this blog was so I can get my story out there. I want to show people that what happened doesn't define who you are. I look at what happened to me, and yes it sucks and hurts and I suffer from it, but then I look at who I am because of it. If it hadn't happened I can give you a 100% guarantee that I would not be who I am today. I would not be at Troy University, I would not have a relationship with God and I would not be engaged right now. I would be a completely different person than who I am today and I wouldn't change who I am for anything in the world. I can say that because I have accepted what happened. I can't change it no matter how much I would want to so why dwell on the fact that it happened. I always to keep a quote, by Walser Anderson, on my mind at all times. He states "Bad things do happen...How I respond to the defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most previous gift I have - life itself." Yes, what happened sucks and I struggle from it continuously but I choose to get up and continue. Accept what happened, It's hard but you can do it. There is a quote that I really like, and I cannot tell you who wrote it for the life of me, but it states "When you can tell your story and it doesn't make you cry, that's when you know you have healed." Another one that I really love is "It takes a lot of strengthen and courage to put the past behind you and stand up and say 'I will not let it define me' To push forward and create the life that you truly deserve and not focus on bad things that life handed you in the past." I am going to create a life that deserve despite what 'statistics' tell me I should be.
As hard as it is accept yourself, accept your past, and accept your story. Create the life that you deserve. Don't be afraid of what others think and don't be afraid of what happened.

Image result for accept who you are

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit