Skip to main content

Fight Like a Girl

I wanna use this post to talk about/raise awareness on something extremely important and it is fitting considering March is an awareness month for it; something that affects many women worldwide. Endometriosis.
So what is endometriosis? Endometriosis is a condition where tissue similar to the lining of the uterus (located inside of the uterus) is found elsewhere in the body (endometriosis.org). Endometriosis affects 1 in 10 women and yet is rarely talked about. I am one of the 1 in 10. It is estimated to affect 176 million worldwide (endometriosis.org). The most common system is severe pelvic pain/cramps. The pain is not just "severe cramps during our menstrual cycle" our cramps can and do occur at times unrelated to our cycle though it does make our cycles more painful. Endometriosis has no cure.

Living with Endo is tough because most people don't understand it. One minute you can be perfectly fine and then you're hurting so bad that you can barely move and that pain will last for days before it goes away. You fight with the pain, nausea, and fatigue from sleepless nights. You take medicine just hoping it will help and it rarely does and if it does it helps for just a short time. We have pain most days though most people won't know it. We only show it when it gets really bad but the really bad is more often than not so people see us as 'hypercondriacts' though we do our best not to show when we hurt. We don't want sympathy, we aren't lazy, we aren't just wanting drugs and we aren't wanting attention. We didn't ask for this.

As of right now researchers/doctors have no idea what causes end and there is no cure. But we can raise awareness. This is what they call an "invisible disease" you can't see it but we can feel it. It is a chronic illness.

Why do I tell y'all this? For a couple different reasons. 1. I know someone reading this knows someone living with endometriosis or maybe themselves are living with it. 2. Because we NEED to raise awareness to this silent illness. 3 Because I'm not ashamed of my illness. No-one should be ashamed of laying down and not moving when they have a flare up. I feel there is so much negativity toward endometriosis and the affects it has on woman (the pain and wanting to not move). We need to break this stigma.

If you know someone being affected by endometriosis let them you know you care. Be understanding when they are in pain and when they don't want to move. Fighting Endo is exhausting; you are fighting your own body. Be there for them.

If you are fighting Endo. Know that you are not alone!! And remember that you are a strong force to be reckoned with! Don't let Endometriosis dull your sparkle!! Fight like a girl!!

If you wan too read more about Endo go to endometriosis.org

Image result for endometriosis awareness

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit