Skip to main content

Success

"Your success and happiness lies in you." - Helen Keller

Let's take a look at success. What is success? How is success measured? What does it mean to succeed?
While you can find many definitions of success, the one that I stand by is that it is "the accomplishment of an aim or purpose." In other words: it is when you reach your goal. Your goals can be short term, long term, simple or complex. It is YOUR goals, what YOU want to accomplish, not what someone else wants you to accomplish. This leads into the question of how is success measured. Most people think that success is when you 'get to the top' or when you 'have money' or even when you graduate college and get a degree. Most of the time it's seen as something "high up" but what is important to remember is that your success is measured by you, it is achieving your own goal that you set for yourself no matter how big or small.

I have what I consider "big" goals that I am working on such as getting my degree and graduating and being a good wife but I'm going to be honest, some days I set small daily goals and ONLY work on those and when I complete them I have succeeded. Some days my anxiety and depression are so bad that I find it a huge success to just get up and get dressed. But even though that is something so small it is still a success!! I have completed my goal and my purpose for that day! You have to find joy in your small successes!
It's important to remember that success can also include failure, you can fail successfully. You're thinking I'm a little crazy now right? Let me explain. You can succeed based on how you handle your failure. For example, I am in my internship and I was doing some requirements for that and my mind just shuts off. It had been a really long day and my mind and body was just exhausted. But I succeeded because I took what I learned from that experience and will now have that information t help me later in life and I also didn't take it to heart. It could have devastated me and made my anxiety worse but instead I realized it is a part of life and I didn't dwell on the fact that it happened. That is a success.

Here are a few example of my short/simple goals and longer and (maybe) more complex goals.


  • Getting up and getting ready in the morning 
  • Smiling 
  • Being more positive 
  • Being more organized 
  • Not procrastinating 
  • Graduating college
  • Getting my masters 
  • Becoming an Interpreter 
  • Becoming a counselor 

IF you notice some of these are daily goals, they are continuous meaning today I may succeed and tomorrow I may not. 
I'm not saying to just set small goals and achieve those but never live your dreams. I'm saying to take time and bask in your small success and to not compare your success to others successes. One persons goal in life is to become an extraordinary surgeon and doctor and the next persons may to be a stay home mom/dad. It is all based on what YOU want. 


Remember that you measure your success, it is accomplishing YOUR goals that YOU set for yourself. They don't have to always be big successes in order for them to count, they can be as simple as getting up in the morning. YOU decide and YOU make it happen. 


"Life is made up of small pleasures. Happiness is made up of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. And if you don't collect all these tiny successes, the big ones don't really mean anything" - Norman Lear 


"Remember to recognize that small successes that you will have. Don't let the brightness of that big goal blind you to what happens on the way toward the goal." 

Image result for Success

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit