Skip to main content

Having a baby during a pandemic

 There are many posts I can make in relation to having my daughter back in April, but I figured this one should be first. There are so many things that people look forward to when they are pregnant. Baby showers, gender reveals, family seeing the baby after he/she is born, and those visitors after you get home. For many those things were taken away. 

I was a few weeks to the end of my pregnancy when everything started. For those last few weeks instead of going out to get last minute things I was contained to my home to be on the safe side, sending out family members to pick up things for after my daughter was born or even ordering online. No family could go with me to my drs. appointments anymore. For every single appointment I had no been alone, if my husband couldn't attend then my mom would. I was never alone. But those last few weeks...I was. Only I could go. Those last few weeks were nerve-racking enough. I was going to be a new mom, going through things that were so new. Preparing for when she would be born, listening to the dr tell me all the things to watch for, the plans etc. by myself. Then the hospital itself cut down on things. Family would no longer be able to be there when I delivered. No-one could be in the waiting room and only one person could be in the room with me. One of the biggest things I, we, was looking forward to...having family come in after she was born to meet the new addition...would no longer happen. I heard horror stories (of course from people in facebook groups I was in and some on the news) about hospitals not even allowing their partners to be in the room. For them to be utterly alone. I can not express how much anxiety I had...worrying, wondering, scared thinking that it could happen at the hospital I was going to deliver at. Thankfully, it did not. I did deliver without my mouther though. And while to many that may not seem like a big deal, it was to me. My mama has been there with me through all of my endo problems not to mention my anxiety and depression. It was a big big deal to me. In the end it was still a great experience with it just being my husband and I but at the time it definitely made my anxiety worse. 

We got there pretty early that morning to begin induction. We both had to wear masks. Let's me be 100% honest when I say laboring with a mask is absolutely horrible! Laboring with a mask with asthma and anxiety is worse. Thankfully, I had a wonderful nurse (who I happened to have graduated high school with) was very understanding of this. After 11 hours of labor and 2 hours pushing on April 8th I delivered a beautiful 7 pound 4 oz baby girl. Our families got to meet our baby girl through pictures and facetime. It was no where near what we had pictured when we first found out we were pregnant but we had still welcomed our beautiful girl and while our family couldn't physically be there, they were still with us. 

My daughter is now 4 months old and the only places she has been is home, my parents house, my husbands parents house, and the dr. This pandemic has put on hold everything we were looking forward to. Shopping with my baby girl to find cute baby clothes and toys for her. Instead most of what she gets its from online, and while I am perfectly fine with using amazon I mourn the things that I am not getting the chance to do. No friends houses, no outings. Worrying on how to keep my girl safe from everything going on in the world, not just the pandemic. It's a constant loop. 

But nothing, not the worry, can steal the joy I feel from having my baby girl. From holding my blessing from God!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit