Skip to main content

Security Blankets (Symbols)

With all of the battles I face because of what has happened to me it is obvious that I would cling to different things to help get me through the day, Security blanket we could call them. These different things are what I have found comfort in throughout the years and continue to find comfort in them today. There are three main ones that I will discuss in this blog post.

     Cinderella is my first security blanket; makes sense since this is called "My Cinderella Story." I find connection through the fairy-tale because she went through her own little hell and came out resilient, and not to mention as a princess. Cinderella's step-family, the 'villains' of the story did everything they could to tear her down. They used her and abused her, but with her fairy godmother she was able to become resilient and get through everything. I had stated before that I wouldn't take back what happened no matter how bad my days get because it lead me to become who I am today; this reminds me of a question I've seen many times about Cinderella..."If Cinderella's shoe fit perfectly, then why did it fall off?" In the end if her shoe wouldn't have fell off the prince would never have been able to find her and get her out of her step-mothers grasp. It is a reminder that yes bad times come but sometimes they have to happen in order to get us to the place we belong. 

      Elephants are another thing that I find security and comfort in. If any of you seen my house you will see elephant statues everywhere. Elephants are big, beautiful, majestic, loving, and powerful creatures. Elephants have been known to be caring and sensitive mammals and never forget what happened in the past; they will morn the death of a loved one, they will console one another, and they have also been known to have PTSD same as a human. While the statues, stuffed animals, and pictures of the elephants are not the actual mammal they bring me comfort by reminding me that I need to allow myself to continue moving forward and be resilient the same as this beautiful majestic animal that God created. 

     My last security blanket is one of mythology; the Phoenix. For those of you unaware of what the phoenix is I will give a short description. The phoenix is a mythical bird that lives for hundreds of years and dies by bursting into flames but from the phoenix's ashes the bird reemerges to start a new and long life. The phoenix has been  known to symbolize many different things including Resurrection and, what I connect it with, resilience. When things get difficult I remind myself of the phoenix, how she dies by her own flame but will be reborn out of those ashes. Janet Fitch stated that "The phoenix must burn to emerge" which reminds me that things will try and tear me down, days will get hard but out of those hard days I come back stronger, wiser and with a more powerful will than I had before. 

Each of these symbols help me when things get rough. They are a constant reminder that I can get through anything that is thrown my way. No matter what I will come back stronger and with a will to never give up. While to each of you these symbols may be meaningless to me they have comfort and a security that reminds me daily of the goals that I have set for myself. They help me to continue to be resilient even when I feel like everything is weighing on me.

Image result for elephantImage result for cinderella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit