Skip to main content

A Dog's Love

Let's be honest, this post is going is slightly cheesy and most people will think it is ridiculous and I am perfectly okay with that. This post is about my dog Sophie. Yeah, I get you're starting to think 'what in the heck' but just bare with me. From a young age I remember hearing people talk about that 'incredible bond' they had with their pet, and my little sister even has an incredible bond with hers. I've had pets almost my whole life, from cats to dogs, to horses, rabbits, goats and more. But I could never understand that bond you hear so much about. I mean yes I loved my pets and they loved me but it wasn't a give all bond. But from the moment I got Sophie I felt it. (Like I said cheesy right?)
I actually found Sophie on facebook, I follow a pet store on there that is close to my home. She was so tiny and gorgeous and I just felt this want for her. I called my mom (she works in the town that the pet store was at) and I asked her to please go get her that I'd gladly pay for her but please I need her. Thankfully my mama went and picked up this sweet little puppy for me. I was so anxious waiting for my mama to get home so I could finally hold this puppy in my arms. From the moment I first held her she would bark (a very high pitch bark that wasn't at all threatening) at anyone who came near me.
My sweet Sophie has been through heck and back with me from dealing with my anxiety and/or depression episodes to a not so healthy relationship that was bad for both of us. And through every single thing that has happened to me and to her we have grown even stronger together.
Sophie is 3 now and we are inseparable. People think of her as a mean dog but in reality she's extremely protective over me and trust me she has a big bark and barely any bark. She's an interesting dog in the fact that she thinks she's a cat, full honesty! She loves chasing laser lights, prefers cat treats and cat food (I have to make sure she eats before I put the cats food down) and even cat toys, and when your foot moves under the covers she pounces on it like a cat would do. She's an interesting dog to say the least but I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world.
Sophie can tell when my anxiety and/or depression is messing up and she changes her behavior to accommodate that, such as turning her body a certain way when she's in my lap so she can see what's going on in every direction around me or just curling up closer to me than normal. And when I am away from her my anxiety spikes because all I do is worry about her until I am back with her. She calms me. My husband has even learned that when I start getting anxious to bring me her and it'll help (though there is rarely a time that she isn't already at my side). Where I go she goes and where she goes I go. My husband has even brought it to my attention that when I am asleep I will call for her. The two of us are inseparable. She has unwavering trust in my that I would never do anything to harm her. I say this because I could pretty much do anything to her and she will allow it, because she trusts me.
I never though I would have this bond with an animal, and it's honestly difficult to explain the bond until you've felt it for yourself. I know this all sounds uber ridiculous but honestly I have no idea what I would do without her. She is my absolute best friend (other than my husband).


A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Imperfection ~ Scars

There are many different posts I can make about "Embracing Imperfection" that's why I added a part to the title regarding this specific post Scars . We all can recognize what an external scar on the skin is; we've all fallen a few times and gotten a scrape that turns into a scar, in some cases the scar fades over time and in other cases they don't. But no-one really takes into account our internal scarring...why is that? Now I don't mean literally inside our body like scar tissue from a surgery, I mean our emotional scarring. The scarring that is so evidently present to us but no-one else sees it. If you take a look at the definition of a scar (just a scar in general) it, of course goes over other details but it also says that it is the process of wound repair and that it is a natural occurrence in the healing process . Let me repeat this...it is the process of wound repair and a natural occurrence in the healing process. What is the difference in that defi

Don't Give Them the Satisfaction

We all know what rejection feels like...no I don't mean getting turned from a guy or girl, I mean the rejection of being told you can't or maybe you won't be good at it, or anything else related those. So what I am about to tell you is super important....are you ready?? Don't give them the satisfaction! It's hard to keep going when you are told you can't do something or that you won't be good at something, but don't give the person the satisfaction of you quitting no matter what. Now, I'm not saying that every person who tells you that you won't be able to do something is meaning it in a cruel or malicious intent in mind, the person could just have your best interest in mind but still don't let them tell you what you have the ability to do. It's tough, trust me I know. When someone tells me I won't be good at something, will have a hard time with something, or that I just don't have the skills it hurts and it's hard to not gi

My Story Begins

My story is one that people around my community do not know, in fact the majority of even my friends are unaware. This is my way of getting this out, my way of letting people know and understand, and to Share the Glass Slipper ! There were times in high school that probably would have been a lot smoother had the teachers, staff, and students knew why I was the way I was. They didn't understand why I would prefer to have my nose in a book than to communicate with my classmates. This is my story, the one that has been told to very few people, aside from the strangers in my Washington DC presentation. From the time I was born until I was almost four I lived with my biological mother. During this time my 'first step-father' and mother moved me and my sisters from Alabama to Mississippi, away from my Father. My story begins, however, when my mother and 'first step-father' divorced and she moved in with another man. So now you ask what happened? During a visitation wit